Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Winter Biking

Back in October, the Post Gazette ran an alarming article about the upcoming Pittsburgh winter. It warned of doomsday and hearkened back to memories of Snowmaggedon (which I actually missed completely as I still lived in Boston at the time). "Below average temperatures. Above-average precipitation. A cold-snap for the holidays - all of them."

But, it just HASN'T happened.

Look at the upcoming ten-day forecast:
Note that I am writing this a few weeks before it'll post online. And by the time it does our luck will break and we'll be up to our necks in snow and ice.

I write this as a preface to discussing Winter Biking because it really hasn't been all that wintery. I'm not at the point yet where I can confidently ride a bike through the snow. I am improving though! Last year I refused to ride when it was cold enough to need a heavier winter coat while walking around. I took the bus for a little less than three months while I waited for temperatures to get back to a comfortable level. But this year, I've not been a wuss when it comes to biking in the cold and there have only been three or four days SINCE DECEMBER that I've found myself waiting on the corner of Friendship and Gross in the morning.

The most important difference between this year and last year is that I've properly attired myself, and that has made all the difference. Here's what I've been wearing that's been getting me through cold rides to and from work:

Knit Cap under Helmet: Even if it doesn't feel THAT cold out, I will still wear a knit cap on most mornings. My ears are prone to freezing quickly, and if they haven't frozen by the time I get to Penn and Main, they will by the time I've flown halfway down the hill into the Strip.

Layers on Upper Body: I will always wear at least a t-shirt and my Under Armour base layer under my jacket. If it's extremely cold I wear the base layer first and the t-shirt over it. It it's normal cold, the t-shirt then base layer. Most mornings I also wear a zip-up hooded sweatshirt, but it's been so mild that it's been left at home on many occasions.

Jacket: A white Marmot rain jacket. This may seem crazy, because it really is just a rain jacket, but it's waterproof and windproof. It has zippers in the armpit area so I can have ventilation when needed. When fully zipped it keeps the heat I'm generating in. I've NEVER been too cold on my bike in this jacket.

Legs and Feet: I wear American Apparel's winter legging every day, starting in the late fall. They are thick and warm and they've (so far) taken the wear and tear pretty well. For socks I wear a thick wool sock pulled up as high as it'll go under the leggings. If it's bitter cold, two pairs. For shoes I've just been wearing my Saucony's and have been getting by okay with those.

Gloves: I got a pair of Seirus gloves this year, and they have served me well. They aren't as warm as I'd like them to be on the coldest days, but I'm convinced I have poor circulation and skinny fingers that freeze very quick. Once or twice I've doubled up on gloves, wearing a thicker knit glove over the Seirus ones. To be fair, the guy at REI did tell me that there were better options for serious winter riding, but when I bought them in November I wasn't sure if I'd yet committed to serious winter riding. Next year I will probably invest in a warmer option. For now, well, I haven't lost a digit yet.

Things I Would Like to Add: Just two items on my wishlist for this winter or next: face mask, rain pants.

I am, of course, keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this mild winter continues throughout the next month or two. But if the temperatures drop, I'll do my best to grin and bear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment